Job Opening for an Assistant to the Bishop
The Assistant to the Bishop provides executive assistance for the Bishop and manages the
media functions of the Diocese in collaboration with clergy and staff.
The successful candidate will report to the Bishop of Peterborough and will work closely
with Clergy, Lay Staff, Councils, and Committees of the Diocese.
The Assistant to the Bishop position is a full time, salaried position, on site at the Diocesan
Pastoral Centre in Peterborough, ON. Weekly hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for a 32.5-
hour work week, with occasional evening and weekend hours required. Annual salary pay
grid between $42,602 – $52,304 based on level of professional experience and education.
This opportunity will be of interest to you if you have a degree in communications,
administrative/executive studies, knowledge of the Catholic Church or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
Thank you for your interest in our opportunity. Please send your resume to
DebMcRae@peterboroughdiocese.org. Candidates’ submission deadline is February 29,
2024. We thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be
POSITION TITLE: Assistant to the Bishop
POSITION SUMMARY: The Assistant to the Bishop provides executive assistance for the Bishop
of the Diocese in collaboration with clergy and staff.
ADMINISTRATIVE/CLERICAL OFFICE DUTIES
• Prepare reports, letters, documents, and presentation materials as necessary.
• Coordinate the Bishop’s schedule in accordance with his instructions.
• Manage the Bishop’s correspondence and communication in accordance with his
• Support Pastoral Administration team meetings with agenda formulation and
undertake follow-up actions from meetings as directed by the Bishop.
• Consult with the Executive for the Council of Priests and the Bishop to develop the
Agenda for the Council of Priests.
• Assist the Bishop with the organization, communication, and resource administrative
support for the Bishop’s Office.
• Support the review and tracking of case files related to abuse by clergy.
• Consult with the staff positions at the Diocesan Pastoral Centre as directed by the
• Assist with the process of implementing the Pastoral Plan.
• Further positive relationships within the diocese through effective communication
and constructive assistance.
• Collaborate with Temporal Affairs to support financial and human resources
• Organize events for clergy at Christmas, Chrism Mass, ordinations, etcetera as
directed by the Bishop.
• Maintain the strictest confidentiality for sensitive pastoral, Human Resources and
• Maintain a file of current resources from the Vatican and Conferences of Catholic
Bishops and support the communication of those resources.
• Support and consult with Catholic schools, school boards, and other Catholic
• Compile the annual schedule of Confirmations in the Diocese.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Bishop.
TECHNICAL – INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND CONTENT PRODUCTION DUTIES
• Provide overall coordination and technical management of the website and social
media accounts (Facebook, X(Twitter), Instagram, YouTube) for the Diocese.
• Maintain the Diocesan website and prepare for its review.
1. A minimum of five years’ experience working in a Catholic organization and adherence
to the Catholic tradition.
2. A university degree in Administration with demonstrated expertise in executive
3. Superior communication skills verbally and in writing; knowledge of French is an asset.
4. Ability to maintain confidentiality and act professionally regarding sensitive matters.
5. Knowledge of Roman Catholic Church teaching, laws, and documents.
6. Superior technological ability to manage a website, update social media platforms, and
use software programs such as Microsoft Office Suite, Presentations, and Publisher, and
applications such as Teams and Zoom.