The Archdiocese of Ottawa-Cornwall is looking for a Financial Controller to help lead the finance team for Catholic Cemeteries. Reporting to the Managing Director of Catholic Cemeteries, the Financial Controller, under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) at the Archdiocese of Ottawa-Cornwall, will primarily be responsible to assess both accounting and administrative controls and prepare reports for the management team regarding corporate compliance and internal policies and procedures. This position will facilitate any auditing conducted by third parties to ensure effective resolution and swift closure of auditing activities. This role will also ensure organization utilizes ethical accounting practices and standards.
- Assess both accounting and administrative controls and prepare reports for the management team regarding corporate compliance and internal policies and procedures.
- Facilitate any auditing conducted by third parties to ensure effective resolution and swift closure of auditing activities.
- Ensure organization utilizes ethical accounting practices and standards.
- Investigate variances in budgets, reporting, internal controls, and general accounting; deploy measures to resolve variances.
- Analyze variable costs and make budget adjustments as appropriate.
- Coordinate financial activities, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general accounting, payroll, pension, benefits, loans, special projects accounting, financial planning, and reporting.
- Assist in the preparation of the operating budget.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of the audit function in the organization and develop auditing techniques to meet changing needs.
- Monitor applicable legislation, regulations, policies, procedures, and operations, and file required documents to ensure compliance.
- Report all inconsistencies in corporate strategy to improve financial performance and adjust company policy accordingly.
- Provide training, coaching, and mentoring to subordinate employees regularly and as necessary.
- Supervise and assist in the development and maintenance of accounting files and records.
- Perform other related accounting tasks as required.
- Knowledge of the Cemeteries and its leadership structure is considered an asset.
- A university degree in a relevant field (mathematics, commerce, business, etc.); an MBA is considered an asset.
- A Canadian professional accounting designation (CPA) in good standing.
- A minimum of 3 years progressive experience in a senior financial leadership position.
- Recognized expertise in financial controls.
- Complete understanding of the audit process.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of financial practices, policies and procedures including an appropriate concentration in operational planning and problem solving.
- Experience in the charitable or not-for-profit sector would be considered an asset.
- Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset.
- Successful track record of supervising and collaborating with staff in a manner that is flexible and supportive yet ensures accountability.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word.
- Proficiency with the use of accounting software such as Sage 50, Sage 300 and other.
- Proficiency in adopting new technological tools to achieve organizational objectives.
- Experience working in a unionized work environment is an asset
WORK CONDITIONS AND LOCATION
- Work from various locations: working from home, 455 Montreal Road and 4660 Bank Street in Gloucester
- Full-Time 37.5 hours per week
- Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm (including 30 min unpaid lunch break).
- Permanent Contract
- Extended periods of sitting;
- Work in a shared office environment.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Full time position.
- Casual work environment.
- Benefits after 3 months (probation period).
- Pension plan after 6 months.
- Free parking.
The Archdiocese of Ottawa-Cornwall will contact only candidates who are selected for further review.
Under section 24(1)(a) of the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Archdiocese of Ottawa-Cornwall has the right to give preference in employment to Roman Catholic applicants.
Send letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
September 8, 2023