The Director of the cemetery or his delegate
The Maintenance Employee participates in the landscaping and maintenance of the cemetery as well as the maintenance of the buildings during the season, usually excluding the snowy period. He/she is capable of using some of the machinery and equipment. He/she participates in the preparation of coffin or urn burials.
· Mow the lawn with a lawn tractor and/or lawnmower, as well as edges with a gas-powered trimmer
· Maintain flowerbeds (pull weeds) and trim tree branches
· Maintain beautiful appearance of the grounds by cleaning up debris (dead flowers, tree branches, etc.), blowing and picking up leaves
· Empty the trash
· Ensure the maintenance of the roads (fills the holes with rocks, earth and asphalt)
· Participate in the construction of the foundations of the tombstones: dig respecting the expected size, make the wooden form and install it in the dug hole then pour the cement. Once the foundation is ready, provide support to the service provider for the installation of the monument
· Participate in the repair of overturned or damaged tombstones / monuments
· Ensure the maintenance of the spaces around the graves, by leveling the ground with peat and re-sowing grass
· Participate in the installation of ground markers
· Participate in the excavation of the graves, as well as in the securing and preparation of the space dedicated to the burial (install the system allowing the lowering of the coffin or the urn, setting in the crypt, dressing around the pit, etc.)
· Participate in the maintenance and cleaning of the buildings and the chapel, including the cleaning of the windows
· Ensure the maintenance of equipment, tools and machinery
· Perform any other related duties as requested by the supervisor
Requirements and skills desired
· High school diploma
· Experience in landscaping work or construction
· Ability to comply with instructions
· Demonstrates rigour
· Ability to work in a team environment
· A valid driver’s license and a clear driving record
· Recent and satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check processed by the Archdiocese.
· Unionized position.
· Permanent full-time Monday to Friday (40 hours per week, 7:30 am to 4:00 p.m. (including a 30 min unpaid lunch break).
· To meet specific needs, maintenance employees may be required to work Saturdays from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
The position is to be filled as of May 1, 2023
How to apply
Send a cover letter and resume indicating your name and the position title in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The position will remain posted until a candidate is selected.